Saturday, July 19, 2014

Catching up with quilting and knitting posts

Sigh.....  I think that I'm at least one day late for posting my "On the Needles" update, and almost late for my "Rainbow Scrappy Challenge", but I have a few good reasons!
First - my knitting report - my prayer shawl for Ila is finished AND delivered to her.  Thankfully, she was allowed to go home from the hospital on Thursday, I believe.  I haven't had a chance to talk to her yet, but I'm hoping to be able to do that Monday maybe.  This is the completed shawl:
I ended up having to hem up the bottom edge - even blocking it didn't stop it from wanting to curl and roll up.  Sewing up about 1/2" minimized that nicely.  I almost forgot to take the pic, so it isn't stretched out properly, but you can see the completed shawl.
Then, my sis and her hubby came to visit this afternoon - they live about a 3-hour drive away, so we don't get to see each other very often, but when we do, it's non-stop chat about all sorts of different things.  After they left, I had an hour or so to hit the sewing room - I've walked into the sewing room a few times this past week, but this was the first time I actually got to sit down at the machine.  I got the 3 red sections sewn onto each of my 5 rainbow Technicolour Braid strips - and here they are: 
The strips are starting to get too long to fit in the picture, so I folded them each up a bit, and then you get an idea of the "rainbow" aspect of them.  
I'll be linking both projects up to their respective challenges in a minute, but I wanted to show you a rather big "OOPS". I'm starting a strip quilt using a "Bobbins and Bits" jelly roll, and as I finish a section of whatever I'm sewing, I stitch up 2 sections of jelly roll as a "leader - ender" project.  The fabrics are nice and bright, and I can hardly wait to see how the strips are going to look when they're assembled into the quilt.  As I was pressing a few of the blocks, I thought that I saw something unusual, so I tried to get a better look.  When you design a fabric line, it might be a good idea to have a proofreader if you're going to use quilty sayings on some of the fabrics - can you see what I found in these 2 strips?
I also have about 1/2 yard of the cream fabric, but the spelling is correct on it - interesting, VERY interesting!
I'll have to make more of an effort to get sewing this week - I'm nowhere near finishing my July ALYoF project, and I'm not sure I have enough time left to finish it.  Maybe I should get back to that now!


  1. Love the rainbow braid and the shall is lovely. I admit - I can't see the error but then again I was a programmer who never could spell!

  2. Somehow, July has totally gotten away from us..... how on earth did it get to be the 20th? It is really scary how fast time is going. I love the shawl, and your rainbow projects are lovely. Mine have been put aside while I try and get projects done for the up-coming guild show in October.

  3. So funny to find a typo on your fabric. I guess editing is important for lots of jobs. What an interesting conversation piece it will be in the finished project.

  4. I really like your Rainbow Braids idea, might have to copy that one for next year.

  5. I can't believe they spelled Quilters wrong. I know all of the Moda fabrics are made overseas, but the designers are in the US.
    The Rainbow Technicolor Braid Strips look great. I wish I had thought of doing something like that for the RSC. I guess there's always next year.