Wednesday, November 25, 2015

A quick gift!

Our son moved a few weeks ago - his first apartment totally on his own!  He's lived away from home for at least 6 or 7 years, but always in a group, sharing an apartment or a house.  This is the first time that he has to provide everything that a good "home" should have - and he's discovered that he has a lot of buying to do! Thankfully, it's close to Christmas, so we should be able to help him fill in some of the gaps, but I decided to not make him wait for everything.
He mentioned that he has a fairly dark wooden dining table - and that he'd really appreciate some placemats for it.  We're hoping to visit him this weekend, and I thought that a few placemats would make a great house-warming gift.  But, with less than no time to make placemats from scratch, I had to think fast!  That's when I remembered the quilt blocks that are stacking up in my sewing room.  I've been trying out different blocks for various reason (auditioning blocks for a quilt, trying out a new block pattern, etc.) and I had several blocks that really weren't committed to any cause at this point.  They'd just need a strip down either side to make them the right size, and I'd be good to go.
What a nice surprise to find that I had made these two "x and plus" quilt blocks, using the same 3 fabrics, and one different, but coordinating fabric:
I found my stash of Kona "Snow" - cut 4 - 3" wide strips and sewed them to the sides.  That looked good, so I got them layered; I stitched them together tonight, and even got them quilted with some SID stitching. 

I'm happy with the way they turned out - and I'll find out on Saturday if he agrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment